Wilson Creek Blog
Events, News, Recipes & more!
Wedding cakes are the traditional dessert at most weddings, but nowadays, brides and grooms are getting more creative with their tasty sweets they offer their guests. If you are serving an alternative to wedding cake, but want to carry on the sweet tradition of formally cutting the cake – and of course smashing each other with it for that perfect picture, the solution: A Cutting Cake!
What is a “cutting cake?” It’s a very small cake created for the bride and groom to participate in a tradition without spending hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on something they don’t actually want to serve for dessert. The cake is then whisked away to the kitchen to be wrapped up and put away in the fridge for the Bride and Groom to enjoy later that night or even the next day.
Then your guests can enjoy the tasty treat display you’ve always wanted!
Now we have another treat for you! We have put together our Top 20 favorite songs during the cake cutting to really sweeten up the moment!
1. Ed Sheeran & Beyoncé – Perfect Duet
2. Maroon 5 – Sugar
3. Chainsmokers & Coldplay – Something Just Like This
4. Kane Brown – Heaven
5. Ed Sheeran – Thinking Out Loud
6. Taylor Swift – Lover
7. The Chainsmokers & Coldplay – Something Just Like This
8. OneRepublic – Good Life
9. DNCE – Cake by the ocean
10. Bruno Mars – Marry You
11. Old Dominion – Make It Sweet
12. Def Leppard – Pour Some Sugar On Me
13. Jack Johnson – Better Together
14. Sugarland – Stuck like Glue
15. Sara Bareilles – I Choose You
16. Maroon 5 – Girls Like You ft. Cardi B
17. Beyoncé – Love On Top
18. Flo Rida – Sugar
19. Beyoncé – XO
20. Dan + Shay – Speechless
#NationalWildlifeDay focusses on endangered species, preservation, and conservation efforts around the world. Zoos, aviaries and marine sanctuaries provide a variety of ways to get involved, so we want to share some information about our partnership with Global Conservation Force.
Global Conservation Force is dedicated to saving wildlife from extinction through education, anti-poaching and conservation efforts. It is the 11th hour for many species of wildlife and GCF is stepping in to make an impact working with local and international communities to pursue success in its missions.
Here are 2 new articles to read about their Anti-Poaching Units
JOIN US FOR THE 4TH ANNUAL WILDLIFE GALA
Global Conservation Force is hosting their Annual Gala here at Wilson Creek on October 5th. Enjoy a beautiful evening celebrating wildlife protection and conservation efforts around the world. An evening of fine dining, live music, wine, live auction, and a short presentation by the GCF team providing updates on past, current, and future projects. More Information Here
With every purchase of our Special Labeled Global Conservation Force wine, you are supporting “front-line” wildlife conservation efforts to literally protect and defend rhino, elephant, giraffe, vultures, and many other species at risk. See below for a peek at our Wildlife Wines and a little info on the animal it helps protect.
Honey Badgers are one of the most fierce creatures in Africa, yet they have a sweet tooth. The Ratel, as it is known in Afrikaans, has been known to take down lions and cobras. Although they are not commonly sought after by poachers, we like to symbolize the ferocity of the honey badger as we fight to protect other endangered species within their home range.
Elephant tusks are highly sought after by poachers. The social history of ivory has created a deeply sentimental market that is devastating to the elephants of the world. We are currently losing an elephant every 8 hours to poachers. Global Conservation Force works alongside rangers fighting to protect elephants from extinction.
Rhinos around the world face the same challenges: poaching for the international rhino horn trade, habitat loss, and civil unrest. Only five species of rhinos remain in the world. Many cultures believe a rhino’s horn has medicinal properties or it is used a status symbol; however, rhino horn is composed of keratin, the same protein that composes human hair and fingernails.
Giraffes also face challenges from civil unrest, and human encroachment on their habitat. The main causes of giraffe population decline are habitat degradation and poaching. The giraffe’s global population has declined more than 40% population decline in 15 years.
Vultures are natures ‘clean up crew’, ridding the environment of diseases on nearly every continent. Vultures serve as a barrier to prevent diseases from proliferating in dead animals and spreading. No other animal can perform this service quite like a vulture can. They are now the most threatened group of migratory birds on the planet.
Combo Packs are available if you want to collect them all! Get 18% off when purchasing all 5 bottles together (usually a $98.95 value)! Contribute to saving the honey badgers, elephants, rhinos, giraffes, and vultures all with one purchase!
Stay cool this Labor Day Weekend with a huge bowl of Watermelon Sangria! Our new Watermelon Sparkling is bursting with nostalgic mid-summer fruit flavors. A perfect accompaniment to sun-drenched days by the pool or a bbq with friends!
- 1 Large watermelon (seedless if you can)
- 1 (750-ml) bottle of Watermelon Sparkling, chilled
- 2 c. white rum
- 1 c. lime sparkling water
- 1/3 c. lime juice
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 2 c. assorted fresh or frozen fruit, such as pineapple, blueberries, and strawberries
- Slice off the top third of the watermelon lengthwise (set aside and save for later use). On the large half, score fruit with a knife and scoop out the watermelon and transfer to blender.
- Blend watermelon until smooth. (If desired, strain seeds.)
- Add chilled wine, rum, lime sparkling water, and lime juice and stir until combined, then add limes and fruit.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours, then serve.
Today we raise a glass to National Mojito Day! We have created two refreshing wine mojito cocktails with unique summer combinations that you will be sippin on all season! Run to your kitchen and start prepping!
STRAWBERRY WINE MOJITO
- 1/2 Lime
- 8 Mint, fresh leaves
- 2 Strawberries, large
- 1 ounce of white rum
- 2 ounces of White Cabernet
- Club soda
Add the mint leaves, two lime wedges, and strawberries to a highball or collins glass. Use a muddler to gently muddle the mint, lime, and strawberries (but not too much as you don’t want to break apart the mint leaves).
Add the two remaining lime wedges. Muddle gently to release the lime juice, again being careful not to smash the mint leaves and break them apart.
Fill the glass with ice and pour the rum and White Cabernet directly over the ice. Top off each glass with club soda and stir just to combine. Serve garnished with a sprig of fresh mint, lime, strawberries, and a straw. Enjoy!
COCONUT WINE MOJITOS
- 1 ounce white rum
- 2 ounces Coconut Sparkling
- 2 1/2 Limes
- Bundle of Mint leaves
- Toasted Coconut flakes, if desired
- Dip each glass in water and then roll in toasted coconut. Add 8 mint leaves and two lime wedges (from half of a lime) to a highball or collins glass. Use a muddler to gently muddle the mint and lime (but not too much as you don’t want to break apart the mint leaves).
- Add the rum, Coconut Sparkling, juice of 2 limes.
- Fill the glass with ice and pour the rum and Coconut Sparkling directly over the ice. Serve garnished with a sprig of fresh mint and lime and a straw. Enjoy!
• Graham crackers
• Dark chocolate bars
• 1 bottle of Decadencia
Toast a marshmallow and allow it to cool. Scoop out the center of the marshmallow, pour in your Decadencia, sprinkle on crushed graham crackers and add a mini chocolate bar!